Cake has always been one of my favorite things to make. There is just something impressive about them, they are tall, and beautiful, and a true labor of love. But do you know what is just impressive? These Red Velvet Cake balls. What’s even better? This is one off those recipes that is hardly a recipe at all.
Cute, festive, and easy.
Cake truffles are essentially a cake pop, but there’s no stick (which makes them even easier to make!) If you’re looking for even easier, you could use prepackaged cake mix, and frosting, but I highly recommend my recipe for Red Velvet Cake, which you can find HERE .
How To Assemble Cake Ball
- Mix your red velvet cake, and then bake and cool completely.
- Crumble in a bowl with your fingers, until cake is in small crumbs.
- Add in spoonfuls of frosting, stirring together.
- Squeeze the cake between your fingers, and add enough frosting to make it just stick together.
- Scoop the cake with a small cookie scoop or a spoon.
- Roll each school into balls, and then chill.
- Melt chocolate, dip, and then decorate!
- Your cake crumbs must be completely room temperature before adding the frosting.
- It’s easy to add too much frosting, so go slowly! You want your red velvet cake wet enough to stick together, but not so much that it’s falling apart.
- Unless you know how to temper chocolate, you’ll want to use coating chocolate for these, NOT wilton candy melts.
- I highly recommend Ghirardelli melting wafers, or almond bark.
- Heat your chocolate for no more than 30 seconds at a time, stir, and repeat until fully melted.
- If you’re feeling festive, I love using crushed peppermint on top!
- Sprinkles or mini chocolate chips work great too.
- Feel free to use dark chocolate or any color them you’d like.
- Red Velvet cake is best with cream cheese frosting, so I recommend that on the inside.
Give it a Try!
Please try this recipe and let me know how it goes for you! And remember, never let what someone else brings to the table be the only thing you have to eat.
Red Velvet Cake Balls
- 1 Recipe Red Velvet Cake Find it on my Website!
- 1 Recipe Cream Cheese Frosting Find it on my website!
- 8 ounces Coating Chocolate
A recipe that is hardly a recipe….
- Crumble and entire recipe of cake, or just scrap pieces depending on how much you want to make.
- Add in small spoonfulls of cream cheese frosting, stir with a spoon.
- Take a small spoonfull and squish it in your fingers. If it holds its shape, its ready.
- If it too wet and doesn't stay rounded, add in more cake scraps.
- Scoop the cake with a cookie scooper or a spoon, then roll each one into a ball.
- Refridgerate until cold and firm.
Coating in Chocolate
- Microwave your chocolate in 30 second intervals and then stir and repeat.
- Once fully melted, our into a narrow deep cup to make dipping easier.
- Drop one ball at a time into the chocolate and remove with a fork, allowing the excess chocolate to drip back into the cup.
- Carefully slide the cake ball until parchment paper, and then repeat until all are finished.
- Drizzle each balls with chocolate, and then immediately add sprinkles crushed peppermint on top. If you are not drizzling, add the toppings immediately after dipping.